Field Trips to the Gilchrist Farm
Field Trip Program suitable for Preschool through High School
Offered during the entire school year, with special extras in the Spring (April through June) and during the Harvest Festival in October! Bring your Summer Camp program to the farm for a memorable day trip.
Basic Field Trip:
- Petting Zoo-Guided time to pet and brush the goats, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, etc.
- Goat Milking Demonstration-Learn how to milk a goat and try your hand at it!
- Guided Farm & Garden Tour: Meet the Pigs, Ducks, Chickens, Turkeys, Horses, Mini Mule, Peacocks, Bunnies, Goats, Sheep and Cows and learn about each along the way! Visit the Garden. During the Spring, see the garden beginning to come to life. During October-Special Harvest Tour of the Fall Garden! Learn how to attract butterflies and hummingbirds in our special native butterfly garden.
- Spring Babies! We have babies year around, however during the springtime we are overflowing with baby goats, chicks and other surprises!
- OCTOBER ONLY-Field Trips include the PUMPKIN PATCH and STRAW BALE MAZE
- Spring and Fall-Wagon Ride. Tour the whole farm on our tractor pulled wagon! $3 per student add on.
- Bring your lunch and take advantage of our picnic tables and shade area
- $5 per child. No cost for adult volunteers, helpers, aids, teachers, parents, etc. During OCTOBER-Add a pumpkin for $3!
- Available Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM -2:00 PM. Three hour guided portion, stay as long as time permits!
- 20 student minimum, however we are often able to combine smaller groups...just ask!
-Craft- Make a special craft to take home: horse shoe crafts, traditional rag doll/action figure, leather stamping, seasonal specialties. $5-10 per child
-Take home a special goat's milk soap made on the farm $3-5
-Incubation and Hatching-Work with the farm to hatch eggs from start to finish. Participate in our hatching program-rent an incubator and hatching set up, then drop off the chicks or pick up the eggs to incubate as part of the field trip/classroom connection.
-Composting! Learn how to transform plain old animal poop into garden magic!
-Scavenger hunt. This is great for older kids. Developed in conjunction with your specific needs in mind. Send the kids off on an engaging hunt! Price varies, depending on needs.
-We are happy to develop program to enhance your in class curriculum. Give us a call!
-Horse back riding is available for groups at an hourly rate for the group.